Life Coach Portland, OR: How to Work Around Bad Habits that Won’t go Away
How to Work Around Bad Habits that Won’t go Away
Some of the bad habits I see my clients stuck in are learned at a very young age. You can’t go back and change those things and so we look forward.
You can plan on developing good habits, such as arranging to have your walking clothes right there to trip over in the morning when you wake up…a literal trigger to go ahead and take a walk…but it’s not as easy to head out the door when you also have an old habit of worrying about an urgent need to use the bathroom while taking the walk. And there’s no where to go…
Learning to work around this bad habit can help.
- Breathe in to the count of 6, hold the breath for 6 and exhale to 12.
- Repeat 3 times.
- Try to recall the first time you had the problem. Look for the details around it, the context, time of day, what you’d had to eat or drink.
- By identifying the details, you can review the past experience and contrast it to the present. You can prove to yourself that this is a new situations; that was then, this is now.
- Once you identify even a small difference, you can challenge yourself to mindfully approach this walk by watching your fluid intake before hand.
- Challenge yourself to go out of the house for a short time and gain some confidence and success.
You can succeed at many things you thought were beyond your ability because of forming bad habits in the past by using this technique.