Learn to visualize
I love self-hypnosis. As a hypnotherapist, I use a variety of techniques to help people
control their pain and anxiety. The first thing I like to teach my clients when they come into
my office is a color visualization exercise.
1. All hypnosis is self hypnosis.
2. Imagining the colors of the rainbow is a safe place to begin to encourage your
3. Memorize the acronym ROYGBIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
indigo, violet. Enjoy yourself !
4. This is a fun exercise for you to practice and learn how to visualize.
5. As with any new technique, you will need to practice it to realize its benefit.
6. You will also be using the power of your breath control. Attentive breathing is
the key to relaxation.
7. Breathe in to the count of four, hold for a count of four then release to the count of eight
8. Check to see if your body is truly in a comfortable position, stretch a little, yawn, be sure your feet are planted on the floor, feeling centered…and breathe as instructed three times. Do this slowly, mindfully. Take your time.
9. Try this again. Practicing correct breathing is the foundation of becoming less stressed and less anxious.
10. You may discover that it’s easier to concentrate on the breath when your eyes are closed during practice.
Ask Imagine Changes:
Question: How can I picture the colors and concentrate on breathing at the same time?
Imagine Changes: Quick! Take a breath…there…breathing is, well, inevitable…when you last saw a rainbow, do you remember breathing?