How to Speak Attentively
A reader asked me to write this in contrast to my post entitled ‘listening attentively’. Speaking attentively requires self-respect. Try this:
- Trust yourself.
- Take a deep, relaxing breath.
- Think of what you want to say before you open your mouth to speak.
- As you speak, look at your listener. No averted eyes, closed eyes.
- Be yourself. There is no one on earth like you.
- Feel a sincere interest in what you’re saying.
- Pay attention to the responses, verbal and non-verbal, of your listener.
- Be able to adjust your thinking according to the responses.
- Don’t criticize yourself aloud, it makes others uncomfortable.
- Don’t apologize while speaking, it causes others to feel less confidence in you.
Enjoy yourself and so will your listener.