10 Ways to Use Self-Hypnosis:#10 Improve Habits of Unhealthy Thoughts
10 Ways to Use Self-Hypnosis # 10 Willpower and Goals
When clients come to me to work on achieving their goals and finding the willpower to stay with them, I usually start with having them think about the changes that will occur once they’ve succeeded. This is always an enjoyable exercise.
- Write down you goals so that you can record specifics.
- Tell yourself how you’ll work to achieve the goals.
- Use as many examples as you want to explain.
- Imagine yourself in the future, looking back at yourself having achieved what you want.
- As you are in a very relaxed state, imagine there’s a line in front of you, your lifeline, and here you are in the future looking back 5 years to this time in your life as well as all the time in between.
- Describe what is different.
- How do you feel?
- How have you changed as a result of your willpower and goals?
- Let the images come and go.
- When you’re finished come back to 5…4…3…2…1
Repetition is important to the success of hypnosis and self-hypnosis as you may change your mind now and then and repetition of the suggestions will convince your unconscious that you are serious.
It’s important to quiet the conscious mind in order to allow the unconscious mind to learn the suggestions given it . The very first thing to do when learning and implementing self-hypnosis is to develop an effective relaxation process works easily and quickly for you.
I recommend you learn this:
- Breathe in to the count of 8, hold for 8 and exhale to the count of 16. The exhale is most important. Repeat 3 times and feel the comfort and relaxation.
- If you need to relax even more to quiet your conscious mind, imagine a healing light entering through your toes and relaxing every muscle all the way to the top of your head. Be sure to do this slowly and thoroughly.
Make a recording:
- When you record the above, speak normally and don’t let little mistakes stop you.
- The idea is to have the recording for use on a daily basis to provide repetition of your suggestions.
- Ideally, you’ll create and record your own suggestions.